Sunday, September 12, 2010

And in other news (and possible TMI, so consider yourselves warned!)

Ha, don't worry, still talking about the baby! Sorry if anyone is bored with it, but right now this is the center of the universe for me. In addition to getting the NT scan on Friday, I also had a consultation with perinatalogist. About 6 years ago, I had an abnormal pap smear and was treated in various fun and fabulous ways. The one that bought me the consultation however was called a LEEP, and basically they remove the affected part of your cervix. Mine was very small, and the doctor was very conservative. As a matter of fact, I've have several different doctors tell me that my cervix looks great. However, this is one of those procedures they don't play with, if you've had it, they want to monitor you closely because it can lead to cervical incompetence (meaning my cervix could start dilating early and I could lose the baby). Since cervical incompetence is a relatively easy fix (they sew your cervix closed until the end of the third trimester), they start checking you at 15-16 weeks and continue every two weeks for the remainder of the pregnancy to make sure things are tight.

Personally, I'm fine with this, because it means I get to check in on Scooter every two weeks. I might even get to find out the sex early since we're having all these ultrasounds. I'm really not worried about it, but appreciate the conservative take on it.

No comments: