Sunday, September 20, 2009

Crab-tastic

Crab is delicious. I would eat it everyday if I could. I got a great deal on some pasteurized crab meat so I bought 4 pounds. FYI, pasteurized crab lasts for like 8 months in the fridge so when it goes on sale I stock up.  I am a huge fan of Chicken of the Sea backfin. It has huge chunks of crab meat, is cheaper than jumbo lump and I have never found a shell. No, seriously, never. If you've ever dealt with fresh crab meat you know how crazy that is.

Anywho, I used the first pound to make crab cake benedict, which is one of my absolute favorite foods. (Picture eggs benedict, then swap the canadian bacon for a crab cake. Mmm hmmm, divine) I mean, crab covered in hollandaise? What could possibly be wrong with that?! Tonight I'm doing surf and turf cause we're having company for dinner. I use the same crab cake recipe for both meals.

Crab Cakes
1 lb fresh crabmeat (As I mentioned, I prefer backfin)
1/2 c mayo
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1-2 tsp lemon juice (I'm sorry, I don't measure. Start with one and taste it, does it need more lemon? However, its hard to go overboard with lemon and crab)
1/2 tsp worstershire sauce
~1/2 tsp Old Bay (to taste, no substitutes here though!)
~1/2c bread crumbs (either panko or fresh that you dry out in a 200 degree oven for ~8 minutes)

Mix all ingredients but crab together in the bottom of a bowl. Drain and pick through crab removing any shells (if necessary, see Chicken of the Sea above :o) Gently fold crab meat and filling together, trying not break up the crab meat. It should hold together somewhat, if not, add a bit more mayo, like a tablespoon. Divide into four parts and form into crab cakes about an inch think.

Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium/ medium-high. Coat bottom of skillet in olive oil (~2-3 Tbs). Gently place in crab cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Bottom should be dark brown (Lift whole crab cake out of pan on slotted spatula and look under neath, don't try to lift up side to peek) Flip and cook 3 minutes on other side. Serve immediately.

If I'm going benedict style, I make a blender hollandaise.

Blender Hollandaise
3 egg yolks
1tsp lemon juice
pinch of cayenne pepper
large pinch of salt
1/2 c butter, melted and piping hot (I nuke for 1.5 to 2 minutes)

Add everything but butter to blender and blend for 30 seconds on whip setting (high). While blender is still on, add butter to blender. Mix for 15-20 seconds. Taste for seasoning. Add a bit of water if too thick. Serve immediately.



As much as I like crab cakes though, one of those pounds of crab meat absolutely has crab rangoon written allllll over it. I've been craving these lovelies for a hot minute now. When I first figured out the recipe (My bestie Wezi made them once and I had to figure out a recipe) my sister in law and I probably made it a dozen times between the two of us, in about the span of 3 months. It rocks. You bake the rangoons rather than fry them so you can feel less guilty as you shovel them into your face! Its a pretty easy recipe as far as difficulty, but it is labor intensive so if you've got a buddy to help, grab them. Don't worry, there's plenty to share.

Baked Crab Rangoon
8oz crabmeat (I use fresh, but canned would still be yummy)
8oz cream cheese (I use light)
2 Tbs mayo (I use light)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp worstershire sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
5 scallions minced, white only
1 pkg wonton skins
1/4 c butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together all ingredients but wonton skins and butter. Get a plate and a small bowl of water. Take one wonton skin and put about a teaspoon of the filling in the center. Dip your finger in water and wet the edges of the wonton. Pull the corners of the wonton to the center, sealing all edges together into a pyramid shape. (I'll get pictures up the next time I make this!) Place onto a cookie sheet and repeat until you use all filling. Using a pastry brush, brush butter on each wonton. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are browned and crispy. Serve with duck sauce or just all by themselves.

No comments: