Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chicken Teriyaki

So sometimes I am just not up for being a gourmet. Especially when we are trying not to eat out, sometimes a girls just gotta get something on the plate! This is when I go all Sandra Lee semi-homemade on ya! Last night I made Chicken Teriyaki with fried brown rice (cause its all about moderation right :). This is the very first meal I ever made my husband and he loved it, which told me that at least he was easy to please!

I have a couple of overall cooking and prep tips I use to make life easier overall. I buy chicken breasts when they are onsale for $1.99 a pound and then take them home and chop them up, put into freezer bags, add marinade and freeze them. This way all I have to do is take it out the night before and it marinates and defrosts at the same time. And you only have to touch nasty, disease ridden raw chicken once!

Chicken Teriyaki with Fried Rice

1-1.5 lbs chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces, marinated in teriyaki (sauce, marinade whatever floats your boat)
1 cup Uncle Bens converted Brown Rice
2 tsp powered Chicken Bouillon (I use no sodium)
1 bag of frozen veggies (again, whatever floats your boat. I use broccoli, carrots and cauliflower mixed)
1 tsp chopped garlic (I use jarred, I said this was a get it on the table meal!)
2 eggs
1Tbs +1tsp soy sauce.
4 Tbs teriyaki
Olive Oil
1 Tbs butter

Add rice to small saucepan, along with bouillon and 2 cups water. Cook according to package directions.

Heat a medium deep sauce pan to medium high. Add chicken to pan, leaving behind as much of marinade as possible. (I use a pair of long handled tongs to fish out the chicken and leave behind the rest) Brown chicken for 6-10 minutes (depending on how small you cut the chicken) until cooked through. Remove from pan.

Add ~1cup of water to pan and bring to boil. Add bag of frozen veggies and bring back to boil. Drop to low and cook with lid on for 5-6 minutes until veggies are softened but not mush. Drain Veggies and add chicken back to pan. Add 3 Tbs teriyaki and 1 tsp soy sauce and cook until liquid is gone (about 5 minutes). Remove to bowl.

Beat eggs in small bowl until combined. Heat same pan to medium high, add Tbs olive oil and butter. When butter has melted, add garlic to pan. Add cooked rice to pan, and remaining teriyaki and soy, and stir to coat. Stir for 2-3 minutes, then make a well in the middle of the pan. add egg to middle and cook, stirring only egg for about a minute, scrapping bottom of pan. Then stir all together and cook for another minute or two. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve Teriyaki in bowls over Rice. The longest thing here is to wait for the rice to cook. This is also a great way to use leftover rice!!


No comments: