Thursday, December 23, 2010

Twice-baked Mashed Potatoes

I created this recipe after a Thanksgiving where we were waiting on the mashed potatoes in order to eat. (You know, mashed pots cool so quickly and are not nearly as tasty that way!) After that I year, I said I was finding a way to bake the potatoes so I could just pull them out of the oven and be done with it. The results are quite tasty if I do say so myself. I usually make as below, but this Thanksgiving I didn't have time to bake them (I know, the irony!), so I just added the cheese on top and the potatoes melted it. Still darn good!


Twice baked mashed potatoes
3 pounds of russet or yukon gold (recommend) potatoes
1 cup of cream
4oz cream cheese
.5 stick of butter
4-5 sprigs of thyme
3-4 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
Sour cream if you like (adds a nice tang, sometimes I use sometimes I don’t)
Bunch of scallions, chopped
1-2 cups of shredded cheddar
Crumbled bacon ( you can cook 3-4 pieces or you can get the bag from costco like I do :o)
Peel potatoes and cut into small, similarly sized pieces. Cook the potatoes in very salty boiling water (like the ocean) until fork tender
While potatoes are cooking, place cream into a small pot with thyme, peeled garlic, cream cheese and butter and heat on low. If you like creamier potatoes add more cream or milk. Once potatoes are done remove thyme stems and garlic pieces
Combine cooked potatoes and cream mixture (as well as sourcream if using) in a large bowl and use a hand mixer to blend, or a potato masher if you’re a glutton for punishment :o) Add salt and some pepper to taste.  (as well as milk and butter to taste if necessary, this isn’t science after all LOL!)
Spoon mashed potatoes into a corning ware dish and cover with shredded cheese.
Refrigerate until 30 minutes before ready to eat, the bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes (top will be bubbly, possibly slightly brown, your call!) Serve with small dishes of scallions and bacon pieces. Alternate: If everyone likes bacon, go ahead and mix it into the potatoes after mashing.

No comments: