Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hey look, I can post about something besides the baby!

We had a dip contest at work and believe it or not, my crab dip did not win. I know, shocking! Perhaps that was due in part to the fact that this onion dip was so amazing I had to vote against myself. The original recipe is from Ina Garten and is called Pan-fried Onion Dip. I've made a few changes to optimize, but my main suggestion- double the recipe. I haven't fed it to one person who didn't have to pause and give me the "OMG" look after their first bite.

Carmelized Onion Dip
3 medium onions, sliced into 1/8-1/4 inch slices- I use a mandolin. You want them pretty thin.
1/2 Tbs Butter
1/2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
scant 1/8 tsp cayenne (1/8 is pretty spicy for my palate, I try to go a little light)
1/2 c mayo (room temp)
1/2 c sourcream (room temp)
4oz (half package) of cream cheese (room temp)

In a medium skillet (large if you double the recipe), heat to medium-medium high and melt butter and olive oil together. Add onions, salt, pepper and cayenne and saute for 5 minutes until softened. Drop heat to medium-medium low (you kind of have to play the temp by ear, you want the onions cooking but not browning too quickly) and saute, stiring occasionally until onions are deeply carmelized. This can take from 25 minutes to an hour plus depending on a million different factors. Just be patient, its worth it. If you have a non stick pan its likely to go faster.

Once onions have carmelized, remove from pan and let them cool to room temp (or close to it). Put cream cheese in mixer and cream on medium for a minute or so. Then add sour cream and mayo and mix until thoroughly blended. Add cooled onions and mix until combined.

The longer you can refridgerate the better, overnight is best, but 4 hours is pretty darn good too. Let dip come to room temp if you can stand it before diving in, then serve with chips (I recommend something a little thicker to stand up to the dip, like wavy lays or kettle chips) Fairly easy but time consuming, the only trick really is to be patient with the onions.

No comments: